Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Within The Confines... (Free Verse) by Patrick Hennessey

            Within the confines of my room, I am king.  
            Here with friends - technology and imagination - total controls at my fingertips.                    
            There is no pressing reason to escape these beige-colored walls.   
            Sex is easy, digital.  
            Food: bags of chips, any flavor but barbecue.  
            Drink: water and whiskey, sometimes together, mostly separate.  
            This is paradise.
            My bed is a soft Mecca of prayer and sleep.
            I also read books.

            Outside... people have always bothered me.  
            Laughter, sadness & mood swings – not my kind of scene.  
            I enjoy one emotion at a time.  
            Right now I am happy.  
            My manuscript is almost finished.
            June of last year I began writing.  
            Before that I ate food.
            Much later, in bed, I finish.
            What a piece of shit! 
I think.
Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment